Monday, May 09, 2005

I'm Being Played

My wife and I went out to the house on Sunday. The cabinets were supposed to be installed Friday afternoon. We pulled up and the old cabinets had been moved from inside to outside in the carport, which I took as a good sign. However, when we entered, the new cabinets were still not installed.

I've spent today calling Joe every 15 to 30 minutes for the last 6 hours. He is not answering his phone. Well, he did once, but he must have hit the button by mistake. He never said hello and I heard him talking to someone else. I could hear sounds like big things moving around. I finally hung up. He also never gave me the other number he said he could be reached at, so this is the only number I have. Based on the messages I get when I call, this is one of those Cricket pre-paid cell phones and it doesn't have voicemail.

I sent a fax to his office this morning. That fax stated this was the third time he has missed a deadline and that he was in breach of contract for not getting this job completed within 10 working days. I said I will be visiting the property again at 6 AM on Wednesday morning. At that time, the job will be complete. Either the new cabinets and countertops will be installed or he will be giving me a refund. One way or another, the job ends at 6 AM Wednesday. I threatened legal action if this is not resolved by then.

I should have called him Thursday afternoon and Friday afternoon, but I was laid up with pneumonia.


Bginvestor said...


That sucks! Some people are complete losers.

Hope the guy finishes the job..

By the way, he has caller ID, so you need to call from different phone numbers because he is blowing you off.


Steve said...

Wow, Shaun. I didn't think this guy would go that far, but nothing in the service industry as a whole these days surprises me - at all. I've started taking an iron fist approach ever since the carpet people gave me the run around.

Sorry to hear about your pnuemonia. That's really serious stuff. I hope you are feeling better now.

Shaun said...

I figured he was checking Caller ID, so I did try from different phones, but to no avail.

I got hold of him this morning. He said he received my fax and was typing a response now. He was going to contact the installers and call me back.

Yep, I'm getting over the pnuemonia. I'm feeling much better now. Thanks.

Brian said...


Sounds rough. Did you prepay this guy all of his money?

If so, I'd suggest a different approach in the future.


Shaun said...

Yeah, unfortunately, I wasn't thinking and did pay him his full fee in advance. I know I should pay no more than 50% up front, but I don't know what I was thinking at the time. Actually, I think it was because the whole cabinet replacement thing was more or less a spur of the moment decision. I wasn't originally going to replace them.

© 2006 Shaun | Site Feed | Back to top