Google
  Web shaunsre.blogspot.com   

Monday, May 22, 2006

House 3: Can't Get Rid Of It Fast Enough

My handyman called me Sunday afternoon. This was not a good sign, since he was finished repairing the window and back door on Friday. He was in the neighborhood and drove by the house just to check it out and he saw someone had pulled out the window air conditioner unit from the converted carport. He said it didn't look like they broke into the house, but just pulled it out from outside. He's stopping by today (Monday) to board up the hole and, the day escrow closes, he'll put a new unit in. No sense in putting another one in now, just to have it get stolen again.

In the meantime, I'm going to buy a couple cheap lamps and some timers and put those in the house to at least give the impression someone is living there. If all goes well, I'll only have this place for 2 more weeks, so I just need to hold the thieves at bay until then. Of course, I don't think there is anything left to steal, so now it's just vandalism I'm worried about.

I'm also going to call the police department and ask for increased patrols in the neighborhood.

1 comment:

Shaun said...

I know what you mean! It doesn't really look that bad. I mean, you can tell it's a lower income neighborhood, but there are several well-kept houses and lots of nice cars. I wonder if the house is targeted not only because it's vacant, but also because a former drug dealer lived there. Anyway, next time I will check the police crime statistics for the neighborhood before I buy. *sigh* Another learning experience...

© 2006 Shaun | Site Feed | Back to top