Google
  Web shaunsre.blogspot.com   

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Another Update

I just got back into town after being gone for a couple days. I spoke with my handyman and he's done most of the painting and has some touch up work left to do. He also discovered the fan in one of the bathrooms that the inspector says does not work actually does - there just isn't a switch for it. He took it out and plugged it into an outlet and it ran, so he's trying to figure out what to do with that. He expects to be done with everything by Saturday.

The quote for the carpet came back - $1,164, which includes a new pad. I've got that scheduled to be installed on Wednesday, which gives the handyman a couple days leeway.

I've decided to go ahead and replace the cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms. Using laminate cabinets (instead of oak), brings the cost down to $1,900 from $2,300. This price also includes new countertops. I decided to replace the cabinets instead of repainting them because the doors on almost all of them are warped and don't close right and some have warped bottoms due to water damage. I'm waiting to get an estimate faxed to me before giving the go ahead for this. I want to make sure everything is in writing. Last time I checked, I was told it would take about 2 weeks to get the parts in and installed, so this will probably be the last thing done before I put the place on the market. (The kitchen and baths are not carpeted, so the carpet can go in before the cabinets.) I just don't think I'll get above FMV without the new cabinets - I think they will really finish off the kitchen and that is one of the most important rooms in a house.

I was planning on having some cleaners come in and clean the place up, but I don't think there will be a need for it now. The walls have been painted, the carpet replaced, new appliances put in, and new counter tops and cabinets installed. What's left to clean? The A/C ducts, but I can do that. In fact, my handyman might have even done that when he took them down to paint.

I'm obviously way over my initial estimate of $2,500 to fix the place up, but I think the improvements I am making will more than pay for themselves when I sell, so I'm going for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you consider having the cabinets refaced. That is where they replace the doors, and put a veneer over the face frame. It can look pretty slick for a lot less then replacing the cabinets.

© 2006 Shaun | Site Feed | Back to top